Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"Work"

btw, I had an Avocado/Chocolate shake and it was heavenly! I think avocados should always be used as sweet fruits rather than in salad.

OK about the supposed saving the world that I set out to do here: So far I have saved one printer and cleaned one set of windows. The idea that I could come here and just build boats for helpless Acehnese is flawed for several reasons:
  • Boulay (frriners) don't build the boats. They show up to Aceh and intercept all the cash and take 70% of it administrating everything. They explain it as transfering the skills to the Acehnese, which is legit, I guess, but lame for me.
  • They builders don't speak english or indonesian. They use the local dialect called Acehnese. Two languages in a month?
  • It is a huge liability if I mess up, which will probably happen.
  • The boat building site is 45 minutes away in a Labi-Labi, or a small and random-routed minibus. Outside Aceh is still dangerous because of a 10 year civil war that has only been civil since the Tsunami.
Because of these reasons, I was asked to paint a bathroom yesterday. I almost did it (cleaned the windows), but then I turned around and said that my time could be better spent elsewhere so I went home and played basketball with Jesse and the locals. Let me tell you, I'm still really bad at basketball, but I think this is my chance to break into the scene. I can play center here and the skills of my peers aren't as high as they would be in the states, so I can finally play without being laughed off the court.

I still have some work prospects. If I can show that I am useful out at the boatworks, I can show up 3 or 4 days a week no problem. There's also the prospect of working with another guy who is doing bathymetric surveys of the area. That might be fun.

Thats it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OK, less on all these details about what you're actually doing and more on the chocolate avocado shake! I need to replicate one of those right away. What else goes into it? Dairy of any sort? Just melted chocolate? Dark/milk? Sweetened? Come on!

Butterfly_444 said...

i totally agree with Clara and i don't feel guilty about it. even thinking about it is delicious!!!(don't ask me what it means)

Jake Scott said...

They must be terrible at basketball, or you've gotten better since I last played with you. I'm glad that you didn't paint the bathroom and instead just walked out. That's ballsy.

How 'bout some pictures? Can you post pics on the blog? Did you bring a camera?