Monday, March 24, 2008

On Fruit

I like fruit, I always have. I remember living in southern California and eating 6-8 oranges from our tree everyday in January. It was good, but the fruit here is on a whole new level. I would imagine that this is because tropical fruits grow here, as opposed to Minnesota. Near Jesse's is a street devoted exclusively to selling fruit. Apparently, Acehnese business models ascribe to the logic that if one guy sets up a profitable coconut shed on a street, this is the only place where coconuts will sell. The street will soon sell coconuts exclusively and will be the only street in town to do so.

Jesse thinks that I can sample a new fruit every day while I'm here. So far I have had Guava, Mango, Pineapple, Papaya, Oranges, Jackfruit and Passion Fruit. I notice that the stalls also have apples imported from Washington State, and I haven't tried any of those. I've seen Avocado on juice menus. I think that will be my next experiment.

2 comments:

Thomas said...

That's sort of the business model here. When you come I'll show you Kemeraltı. There's a shoe district, and a jewelry district and a nut and spice district and a clothes district and a fish district... it's a fun place.

Butterfly_444 said...

oh Thomas you are missing the best part ''And many of them are cheap:)''
Hey shawdyssey while trying new tropical stuff this time don't mess with any fruits nobody knows and have a big explosion again ok? we want you back as healthy and alive here:)