Monday, April 28, 2008

it's lump it's lump it's Kuala Lumpur


I sneaked this photo off the internet because my photos arent available, but this is Kuala Lumpur. S, J, and I spent three taking in the sights.
Things about KL that are sweet: The architecture, especially this at night. Also the hawker centers where you are carried by the crowd past countless stalls selling countless tasties for a pittance.
Things about KL that are strange: Everything in the city center is geared towards shopping. Even these Petronas Towers have a 5 story mall at their base. I've never seen multiple Luis Vuitton boutiques within walking distance of each other. As Minnesota is the birthplace of malls, my friends asked me to comment. My thoughts: there is a reason malls were invented by folks living with the temps we have. Why these ideas have taken off in the tropics? I have no idea.
Yesterday I bid my good friends S and J farewell. Its hard to say goodbye because even though it has been 10 months, this trip was always in the plans. Now there is no set date. I hope one turns us up soon. After a night of watching soccer in a bus station food stall and two flights, I have arrived in Kunming, beginning book two of the Shawdyssey. We're located at 25 degrees North here putting me out of the tropics. Its about 60 out and I'm wearing all my clothes. Having been here for 24 hours all I have noticed is that Chinese aren't affraid to budge in line. Dispicable.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wait a second! You know the next time the three of you will see each other! Something about a wedding of a different pair of good friends?!

Abang J said...

I can tell you why malls are so popular one degree from the equator: same reason they're popular in Minnesota - the weather outside sucks!
Ben: I'm looking forward to the wedding.

dee said...

hey.. where r u noW?

svh said...

hey man-

i've got your twins update here:

as of 9:30pm, 5/3/08, the twins are in 1st in the AL Central. up 1/2 a game on the White Sox, but the league is pretty tightly bunched. They have won 4 in a row, though.