Monday, April 7, 2008

Aceh is not hipster


I find it interesting how and what American music trickles down to other parts of the world. A twentysomething friend of mine spent most of the morning singing John Denver to me to show me his cred. Was John Denver ever cool? Sorry Mountain Mama, but I can love you without the song. Another strange thing: from what I can tell, Linkin Park could probably claim themselves the most popular band on earth given their following here and elsewhere. Linkin Park is not fly. Sorry Melike. Granted, Banda Aceh does not have a particularly good connection to the hip music scene. I can't really see people being really pretentious about electronic chirps or flannel shirted skinny guys here. Things are different in Java, though. I hear that Jakarta is lousy with hipsters that would make Oberlin's feel fat, wholesome and joyful.

Banda Aceh's NGO scene is also not hipster at all. When you get paid $25 an hour and can live for $10 a day, you can go shopping in Singapore and buy a mansion. Say goodbye to PBR and hello to designer vodkas. That said, they can however throw a kickin dance party. A couple from Portland were moving back to the states and had a going away party that consisted of 4 hours of bangin disco. Its hard to dance for that long. My back hurt in the morning. Jesse (pictured) claimed the prize of best individual dancer and took home the light globe proudly. I must say I was gunning for the same title, but I don't begrudge it to him. After all, the dude practices everyday, everywhere. You can't dispute the effort.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Shaw, first time looking at the blog. don't have time to read much right now. Did you even send out the url? I just remembered the name, but you should send out the url if you want people to read it. In other news, the Nationals have dropped 5 straight since starting 3-0 and leading their fourth game 11-6. So now they're 3-5. Bullshit. Despite his two-run throwing error last night, our man Cristian Guzman had 2 triples and 3 RBIs last night. I get he's got his jets back after all the injuries. Baseball and I miss you.