Monday, May 12, 2008

Prologue


I got a tune up ride in this weekend with the gregarious Ruud Batta, a Dutchman dating another Shansi fellow. Having brought his bike to Kunming over a year ago he is one of the most knowedgeable cyclists I can talk to in these here parts. I rented a quality mountain bike for a pittance and we shoved off late on Saturday morning. The ride out of the city was hectic, because I haven't mastered the no-rules flavor of asian driving. The idea of biking directly in front of a moving semi-truck is something I'm still not comfortable with. Ruud jumped ahead of me about 50 meters at every intersection.


Once we got out of the city, cars got scarce and hills got frequent. We passed farmers covering the road with hay in order for car's tires to thresh it. It was a cloudy day so we couldn't see for ever, but the endless green ridges soldiering off to oblivion was image enough. It was a good ride.



Side note, we were supposed to pass a house with ferocious and unchained dogs. I steeled myself for it, and all Ruud could tell me is to bike for my life. The dogs never appeared, but the terror was definately there. I plan on having a three foot smackin' stick at easy access on my bike and to take mounted combat lessons over the next week.



The ride was about 60 k. All above 2000 meters. I'm excited.

1 comment:

Butterfly_444 said...

trust me you better get used to biking like that the trip u chose to take is gonna be just like that :D